* There are around 300 known species of octopus.
* Highly intelligent, they have demonstrated the ability to solve problems and use simple tools.
* The octopus has three hearts. One heart pumps blood throughout the body while the other two pump blood through the gills.
* Did you know that octopus can change colors in order to blend into their environment. The can also change the shape of their body if necessary in order to escape from traps or tight spaces.
* Octopus eject black ink when threatened. This provides a screen which allows the octopus to escape as well as a scent which throws off the predator's sense of smell.
* They like to eat fish, mollusks, and crustaceans. They are able to suck their prey out of its shell.
* The Giant Pacific Octopus is the largest known species of octopus, weighing in at around fifty pounds and bein approximately fourteen feet long.
* Unfortunately, they have very short life-spans. Depending on the species, they can live from six months to five years.